Wednesday, June 20, 2012

What to do with all those greens?

This weekend, Kamal spent three hours mowing between the paths and the field edges. With all the rain the weeds (best habitat for insect pests) were flourishing.  Meanwhile, I was doing the last big planting of fall crops-- that is collards, cabbage and Brussels sprouts.

Eventually, having all the greens folks want ideas for what to do with them.  With the help of the internet, I have found number of ideas.  Here are some greens.
arugula
With arugula, I add it to salad, of course.  However, your young children may not like the taste!  Then, there's arugula pesto -- with extra cheese on the pasta it maybe palatable for kids.  Here's a recipe that I found useful: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/arugula_pesto/   Maybe an arugula, brie panini (buttered bread and enough brie to cover it and add arugula- a  slice of apple can really tie it together- grill it like grilled cheese, unless you do have a panini maker). I  am pretty sure that kids will hate it, though. 

lemon basil
Genovese basil

Speaking of pesto, lemon basil can add a welcome brightness to pesto.  It's is also good in salads and salad dressing.  Genovese basil  may be the type used for pesto originally.  If you don't have a food processor, I make a roughly chopped pesto of basil, walnuts, olive oil, garlic and grated Parmesan or Romano.  One cup of nuts and handfuls of cheese until, I get the saltiness that I want.

Staying in Italy, there is Tuscan kale (also goes by Dinosaur kale to appeal to kids?) and curly kale.  Both varieties I grow and they can be used in the same way.   Paula Wolfert has so many excellent recipes: http://paula-wolfert.com/recipes/kale_beans.html

Curly kale

Tuscan kale


 Solea in Waltham, MA does this great dish with collards and I use chard, kale or even collards. It is blanched collards, garlic, olive oil, pine nuts and raisins- maybe some heat in the form of hot peppers or chili flakes.  Heat the oil, add garlic and pine nuts (I often use almonds.) and raisins, when you can smell the garlic add chopped greens.


When all else fails there is the simple stir fry with the protein of your choice (chopped tofu or chicken) with oil, onions and garlic, and chopped greens. 

If you have too many greens, I blanch them and freeze them for the winter. They are already washed; all I have to do is thaw and chop to add them to something.

The kitchn blog has excellent instructions on blanching. 
http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-blanch-vegetables-home-108570

No comments:

Post a Comment